Friday, October 3, 2008

Birthday Cupcakes!




So not only am I new to this whole blog thing...but I am also new at taking pictures of my baking!!!  I feel like I have made a lot of things as of late....peanut butter brownies, peach crisps, cookies, and a lasagna (my first....who knew they were so much work!?!).  The lasagna was added as I am trying to branch out and actually make "real" meals.  Although I would like to think that a blueberry pie, followed by some chocolate chip cookies constitutes a "real" meal....I think not...hence the lasagna.

Now you see....my problem is not in actually making the stuff....it is photographing it!!! Especially if it is something fresh out of the oven that is designed to be eaten right away!!! I don't want it to cool while I take a billion pics (clearly a billion have to be taken as I am not a fantastic photographer...although would love to be!!!)


Anyways...long story short.  I finally got around to taking some pics of cupcakes.  I confess that cupcakes are not my specialty (although I am starting to wonder what actually is).  I have tired a bunch of recipes for cakes and icing and can't seem to find one I like more than that good old faithful store bought boxed mix (sigh...the journey continues).  If anyone knows a fool proof recipe I would LOVE to try it....especially icing...I really like piping it on...this most recent one I used though wasn't as stiff as I would have liked it and it started to slide a little...oh well....there is always next time!



The actual  recipe I used is from Martha Stewart's website.  It came recommended off of another blog I looked at...sorry I can't remember which one!  And I would agree with some of the comments on her site.  I found the cake was not as light and fluffy as I would have liked, but other than that the flavors were great.  As for the icing.....well it tasted good...but again...I should probably have just spread it on the cake instead of piping (it just always looks soooo good piped that I couldn't help myself!)

And as for the pics....well these are going to have to be a work in progress!  I really wish there were some courses I could take just on food photography!  Hmmm....perhaps I will do some hunting on that one.

No comments: