Monday, October 20, 2008

Banana Muffins



Mmmmm!  Banana muffins are one of my favorites!  In order to satisfy cravings immediately I usually freeze bananas that have started to turn, as then flavors are at there peak.  I hunted around for a recipe and in the end I used a fairly easy one outlined below.

Ingredients 
  • 5 large bananas (one banana sliced for topping)
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 egg slightly beaten
  • 1/3 cup melted butter
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
Mix together 4 mashed bananas, sugar, butter and egg and set aside.  In a separate bowl mix together dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt).  Add dry ingredients to the banana mixture, being careful not to over stir.  Pour muffins into a greased muffin tin and drop a slice of banana on top before baking.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 20mins.  Cool and enjoy!

I find that banana muffins are one of the very few things I don't like eating warm out of the oven.  Often I find that these muffins need to cool before you can really taste that great banana flavor.

Another note I thought I would add is that these muffins are best enjoyed the day that they are baked.  The banana slice on top will turn brownish if left over night - although don't worry - they still taste fantastic!  But if you do wish to preserve the nice fresh white/yellow look of the banana slice then try using dried banana chips instead.

No comments: