Sunday, March 1, 2009

Flourless Chocolate Cake: February DB Challenge


I was so excited to see that this month's challenge involved chocolate! Mmmmm delish!  The great thing about this recipe is that it came together very quickly, with easy to follow instructions.  I was thankful as I pushed this one right to the wire as per the challenge deadline. 


I used all semi-sweet chocolate, as I find sometimes that when I mixed chocolates (semi and milk) it never has the desired taste that I am after.  I quite enjoyed the chocolate taste, although I had some critics say that they might have enjoyed a mixture better. ( I will save that for next time!)

As I said, the prep/baking process was quite simple, melted the chocolate and butter, added egg yolks and then the whipped whites making the cake a little "fluffier" given its lack of flour.


Overall I found the cake almost overly moist.  I had thoughts that the cake might even be under cooked, but I did bake it for 5ish minutes longer and followed the instructions of "the top should look like a brownie and cake tester should come out wet", so I am thinking that this was actually the desired affect.  In the end it wasn't my favorite chocolate cake, but I loved making this new version!  Perhaps I will give it another go, with some different chocolate.  Already looking forward to next month!

Credits:
The February 2009 challenge is hosted by Wendy of WMPE's blog and Dharm of Dad ~ Baker & Chef.
We have chosen a Chocolate Valentino cake by Chef Wan; a Vanilla Ice Cream recipe from Dharm and a Vanilla Ice Cream recipe from Wendy as the challenge.

9 comments:

Bumblebutton said...

Nicely done--a moist texture beats a dry one for sure!

Andreas said...

Nice composition in the first picture with the flower.
I also find that mixing milk and dark chocolate will not improve the taste. You have to decide what you want before you start and stick to it.
It's like watching a sport match (soccer, basketball, whatever). You have to declare for which team you are cheering. If you take the middle ground, it's only half the fun. :)

Cheryl said...

So true Andreas...so true!

Dragon said...

So gorgeous! Great job on this month's challenge!

ice tea: sugar high said...

ahhahaha, I third that opinion about mixing chocolates. Chocolates are better when you use it as it is =).
Love your photos Cheryl, especially the one with the flower. Nice touch.

Anonymous said...

Nice job on the challenge, Cheryl. What an adorable presentation. And thanks so much for stopping by my blog!

Honey Pickles said...

Your cake looks yummy!

Unknown said...

Its really really a nice cake...ma mouth is watering.....
=========
SEO services

SEO Services said...

February’s challenge is a Flourless Chocolate Cake – Chocolate Valentino – inspired by Malaysia’s “most flamboyant food ambassador”, Chef Wan.I hit the jackpot with this the challenge this month. A rich, flourless chocolate cake is one of my all-time favourite desserts. I have frequently made flourless chocolate cakes using almond or hazelnut meal. But this challenge included only a simple mix of chocolate, butter and eggs.



SEOServices